Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I have two computers, both of which are running on WINDOWS XP...?

I have two computers, both of which are running on WINDOWS XP. One of my PC has a cable internet connection and I want to share that cable internet connection on my other PC also. On the first PC which has cable internet connection, I have connected another LAN Card in order to connect a Local Area Network between the two PC.I want to put my first PC as a SERVER for my second PC. I would like to ask the procedure to connect my two PC, keeping in view that both of my PC can run the cable internet connection Or it is possible to connect them using SWITCH. Tell me the procedure in detail please.Thank You.



I have two computers, both of which are running on WINDOWS XP...?virus scan



The simplest solution is to get a wired router with a built in switch. The router will have a WAN port - the cable modem gets connected to this port. It will also have 4 or 8 LAN ports, depending on the model router you buy - the computers get connected the LAN ports. Assuming your cable company assigns an address by DHCP, you'll just have to make these wired connections, then shut all the devices down - cable modem, router, and computers - for about 1 minute, then turn them on in order - first the cable modem (should take anywhere from 15 seconds to 1 minute) then the router, then the PCs. Make sure you go into the router per the user manual it comes with, and set a password for the administrator account, to prevent easy access to your PCs from the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment